Hamlets - 01

Some of the early writers call Bandra a town.  John Fryer who visited Bandra in 1675 writes : "The town is large and houses tiled; it is called Bandura…. It is also called a village.  Fr. Gomes Vaz, writing in 1576 says :  "Bandra is a very fine village".  This large village was comprised of more than 20 hamlets or 'pakhadis'.  Today each of these is popularly called a village but technically they are hamlets.
Incredibly, in 1548, when it was a flourishing town in Salsette, Bandra was gifted to a Portuguese, Antonio Passoa, 'for meritorious service' to the ruling Portuguese. After his death and that of his widow, it was passed on to the Portuguese Jesuits in 1568. The Jesuits had a small hermitage on the hill overlooking Mahim Creek, but resided in the Bandra fort. After the capture of Bassein by the Marathas in May 1739, the Portuguese also surrendered Salsette and Bandra. On 1st January 1775, the island of Salsette and Bandra was added to the British domain.
From the church registers, other records and gravestones we know the names of the extant and extinct hamlets.
The following hamlets (pakhadias) existing during the Portuguese period - ending May 1739) may be mentioned:
i)                    Chuim (Chuem) cultivators 
ii)                   Candely - cultivators - extinct after 1732 - near Chuim
iii)                 Rajan (Rajana)  - cultivators - Port. Rajana
iv)                 Sherly(Xelalim)  - cultivators - Port. Sellaly
v)                  Malla (Mallan) - culltivators - Port. Mallem
vi)                 Palli (Pall) - cultivators - Port. Pallem
vii)               Parvar - cultivators - extinct after 1853 - between Dr. Ambedkar Road and Khar Gymkhana
viii)              Old Kantwadi ( Kantavari)  - cultivators - Port. Horta de Santo Andre - N.B. New Kantwadi comes into existence in 1817- likewise hamlet of cultivator
ix)                 Ranwar –(Ranuar)  cultivators - Port. Ranoar
x)                  Boran - cultivators - Port. Dandacavar
xi)                 Tank - cultivators - Port. Tanque
xii)               Patarvar - cultivators - extinct after 1817- north of St. Joseph Convent.
xiii)              Santa Cruz - toddy-tappers and cultivators
xiv)             Khar - Bois and "cavoqueiros" - Port. Salgado
xv)               Cumbarvara - Bois and potters - near Khar
xvi)             Catirvara - Bois - near Khar
xvii)            Povoacao - Portuguese and their household staff - D’Monte Street extending to the old Slaughter House site.


Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment